Japanese language course – Spring 2021
Due to current COVID-19 restrictions, this session of Japanese classes will be held online, via Zoom. If you will be using a laptop/desktop computer, you must have a functioning camera and headphone/microphone installed, and be familiar with its use. We appreciate your understanding and cooperation.
Classes will begin the week of May 3, 2021. The session length is noted after each level.
Please note that level 1A classes will be offered in September only.
Level 1B classes will be held in French (textbook is English/Japanese)
- Level 1B – Tuesdays 7-9pm (12 weeks/24 hrs)
- Level 1B – Wednesdays 7-9pm (12 weeks/24 hrs)
- Level 1B – Thursdays 7-9pm (12 weeks/24 hrs)
- Level 1B+ – Wednesdays 7-9pm (6 weeks/12 hrs)
- Level 1B+ – Thursdays 7-9pm (6 weeks/12 hrs)
- Level 1B+ – Thursdays 7-9pm (6 weeks/12 hrs)
- Level 2B – Mondays 1-3pm (10 weeks/20 hrs)
- Level 2B – Tuesdays 7-9pm (10 weeks/20 hrs)
- Level 2B – Thursdays 7-9pm (10 weeks/20 hrs)
- Level 3A – Fridays 7-9pm (8 weeks/16 hrs)
- Level 3B – Thursdays 7-9pm (8 weeks/16 hrs)
- Intermediate – Wednesdays 1-3pm (8 weeks/16 hrs)
- Intermediate – Wednesdays 7-9pm (8 weeks/16 hrs)
- Advanced – Wednesdays 7-9 pm (6 weeks/12 hrs)
Fees: Please refer to level desired:
- Level 1B (12 weeks) – $185
- Level 2B (10 weeks) – $155
- Level 3A, 3B, Intermediate (8 weeks) – $130
- Level 1B+, Advanced (6 weeks) – $100
These fees include $10 administration fees.
-Please add 2021 JCCCM membership of $35 if you are not already a member.
-Deadline for registration, including payment in full : April 26, 2021
-Registration payments received after April 26 will be subject to a $20 late fee.
For levels 1-3, you must have the appropriate level of the textbook ‘Genki’ in hand, in order to follow the class. Textbook explanations are in English.
Textbook fees are extra and are available at the JCCCM (in limited quantities): Level 1B – 2B – $60; Level 3A & 3B – $55
To register, please make your payment by using the PayPal button at the bottom of this page, ensuring you fill-in ‘Specify purpose of payment’ with the desired level/day, in order to reserve your place. You can make one payment for the course and book by entering the total amount in the ‘Other Amount’ box . We will confirm receipt of your payment by email. If you’re unsure of the amount to pay, contact the office at 514-728-1996 or firstname.lastname@example.org before proceeding.
For more info, contact email@example.com.
Level 1A – The level is designed for all beginners interested into learning Japanese.
Level 1B – The level 1B is designed for students who are able to read hiragana and katakana. Applicants should have a total of 30 hours of instruction in the Japanese language or the equivalent.
Level 1C – Students will begin to learn Kanji and will learn more about Te-form verbs, Counting, Informal Speech, etc. At the end of the class, you should be able to express your opinion and preference and to discuss with your friends in the past tense.
Level 2A – Students will complete Genki 1, and have mastered the short form of verbs.
We study various expressions, discussing concepts such as possibility, determination, giving reasons, guessing, giving a suggestion, etc.
Level 2C – We continue to study Genki 2, learn temporal clauses, conditional dependence and transitivity pairs of verbs. At the end of the course, you should be able to express your gratitude and offer your help, explain a situation and any difficulties that you may have, talk about your feelings of disappointment, and give instructions for work, etc.
Level 3B (JLPT N4 – approx. equivalent) – Students will complete Genki 2 and learn Causative and Causative-Passive sentences. At the end of the class, you should be able to discuss conditional situations, express your decision, show examples, etc.
Level Intermediate (JLPT N3-N2 – approx. equivalent) – Review of all previous levels and learning how to put what we have learned, to use in practical situations.
Advanced: Continue preparation for JLPT N2/N1. Can listen to talk about a historical figure and understand his/her image and a specific story that illustrates his/her image. Read a newspaper column or editorial and understand the writer’s explanations and main points.
We reserve the right to refuse any registration to our courses.
Students who register for a class and withdraw, must contact the JCCCM office;
- before the first scheduled class to receive a full refund;
- to receive a refund of class fees paid, less $15 per class attended/missed prior to notifying the JCCCM of their withdrawal (applicable to language courses). Administration and membership fees are not refundable. Administration and membership fees are not refundable.
Please note: After 75% of the course has been completed, NO REFUND for the balance of the course will be issued.
The JCCCM reserves the right to cancel a course due to insufficient registration. In this case, a full refund will be issued.